Monday, June 9, 2008

Best day pack: Osprey Atmos 25 backpack

I love this pack. It’s everything a pack should be: light, roomy, and especially comfortable. I especially love it when traveling; it’s the perfect size for an airplane carry-on, and it makes a great day pack for both urban and outdoor adventures.

I’m a tall guy, and finding a pack that fit my elongated torso wasn’t easy. Most packs are short and sit too high up on my back. And shockingly few have any sort of support structure; they put the weight entirely on your shoulders, straining your upper back and neck muscles. The Atmos comes in 3 sizes (S, M & L) so I was able to get a Large that fit me perfectly.

The Atmos was designed for ultra-light backpackers, so the support it provides is phenomenal. I absolutely love the “Airspeed” frame and mesh back that keeps my back cool and sweat-free. It also makes an excellent pillow when you’re ready for a rest.

It looks like Osprey has discontinued the 25, but Moosejaw still has some in back stock. Alternately, get the Stratos 24 or the even smaller Stratos 18. They both have a similar suspension system to the Atmos, come in various sizes for different sized torsos, and are widely available.
Get the Osprey Atmos 25 from Moosejaw

No comments: