Monday, June 16, 2008

Best cable/satellite TV service: DirecTV

I’ve had DirecTV for nearly 10 years, and they’ve been a high-quality, reliable TV provider. From the research I’ve done and my own experience, satellite TV service tends to be cheaper, has better quality, and better customer service than cable TV.

Cheaper doesn’t mean cheap, though; I pay about $60/month, which includes local channels and a $10/month DVR listings fee, but no premium or HD channels.

A couple of things I really like about DirecTV service. They have XM Satellite Radio channels, which are nice for leaving on in the background. They also have a reasonably good selection of pay-per-view movies for $4 each, and the convenience of ordering at the last minute from home and watching at my leisure via my DVR beats driving to Blockbuster and choosing from the dregs of their stock (plus driving back to return it!).

Of course one option is to go the TV-via-the-internet route. Sites like hulu.com, abc.com and cbs.com all stream their shows over the internet for free. But watching TV on the computer is optimized for solo viewing. And no matter how well-designed these sites are, they still aren’t as easy to use as changing channels on a TV.
Get DirecTV: use referral ID 13409810

No comments: